Army Wounded Warrior Program Eligibility and Enrollment
By: by the U.S. Army Warrior Transition Command
The Army Wounded Warrior Program (AW2) is the official U.S. Army program that assists and advocates for severely wounded, ill and injured Soldiers, Veterans, and their Families, wherever they are located, regardless of military status. Soldiers who qualify for AW2 are assigned to the program as soon as possible after arriving at the Warrior Transition Unit (WTU). AW2 supports these Soldiers and their Families throughout their recovery and transition, even into Veteran status. Through the local support of AW2 Advocates, AW2 strives to foster the Soldier's independence. There are more than 18,200 Soldiers and Veterans currently in AW2.
In order to be considered eligible for entry into AW2, Soldiers must suffer from wounds, illness, or injuries incurred in the line of duty after September 10, 2001 AND:
- At this time there are no exceptions to AW2 entry criteria; however, we are currently evaluating the appeals process and will keep you informed of any changes.Receive or expect to receive at least a 30% rating from the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) for one of the conditions listed below:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Severe traumatic brain injury (TBI).
- Severe loss of vision/blindness.
- Severe hearing loss/deafness.
- Fatal / incurable disease with limited life expectancy.
- Loss of limb.
- Spinal cord injury.
- Permanent disfigurement.
- Severe burns.
- Severe paralysis.
- Receive a 30% rating or greater for one Veterans Affairs Scheduled Rating Decision (VASRD) as rated by the Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) in any other Special Category (SPECAT)/ Enabling Care (EC) or combat/combat-related condition; OR
- Receive a combined 50% IDES rating for any other combat/combat-related condition.
Soldiers and Veterans who meet the AW2 eligibility requirements and are not currently enrolled in AW2 should contact the AW2 Call Center for assistance:AW2 Call Center Nationwide (toll-free): (877) 393-9058Overseas DSN: (312) 221-9113Email: AW2 Call Center
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is every wounded Soldier eligible for AW2?
No. To be eligible for AW2, a wounded Soldier or Veteran has to meet the Eligibility Requirements for inclusion in the program. Please refer to Eligibility Requirements for AW2 entry criteria.
I have a 50% disability rating from Veterans Administration (VA). Do I qualify for AW2?
No, unless you meet the Army rating requirements for AW2. A Veterans Administration (VA) disability rating is different from the Army Physical Disability Agency (PDA) rating. AW2 eligibility determination is based on the Army rating and the Army rates for fitness, while the VA rates for service connection.